Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Son of Rambow




Delightful...enchanting...sweet...funny...cute; these are some of the words to describe Son of Rambow, a movie that I think flew under the radar in the States - at least for me.

Set in 1980's Britain, the film is a comedy-drama that pairs two boys who are evidently different by their actions and demeanor, but who couldn't be more alike within. Directed by the talented Garth Jennings who's done numerous music videos as well as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, he tells a story that captures an authentic coming-of-age that's unforced and honestly endearing for this viewer.

I have to say, I really, really enjoyed the movie...and it's been awhile since I have (probably due to the fact that I pretty much watched all five seasons of The Wire straight through for the past few weeks). In any case, the film holds up because it's honest. It's got a bit of a Michel Gondry vibe to it, for what that's worth (which is a lot for me).

The soundtrack's chock full of goodies as well. Oh...and a bit of trivia...Stanley Kubrick's grandson has a part in the movie as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment