Monday, September 15, 2008

Momofuku Ko



Through those doors lies 12 seats along a counter that faces into an open kitchen...where a handful of cooks are preparing lunch and dinner for people who are logging onto the Momofuku Ko webpage and clicking away at exactly 10 a.m. I've realized that my work computer server is god-awful slow, so I'd never managed to snag a reservation during the weekdays. Finally, I managed to get my ass in front of my home cpu on a weekend morning. Last Saturday, I was able to get a reservation for Friday, September 12 for the 10 p.m. seating...but unfortunately I had a commitment that night...so I made sure to park my keister in front of my desktop at home the following morning at a few minutes before 10...and lo behold, I copped another reservation. So, I canceled my first reservation and readied my visit to Ko for the whole fucking week.




If you haven't seen the pics by now, that's what it looks like inside. The stool I sat on is fifth from the back...








Anyhow, the place has been reviewed ad nauseum in the few months it's been opened, but I guess I'll add my two cents since I promised to write more often.

With the meal, I had the $85 wine pairing option. Honestly, every pairing was spot on...like dick and pussy...each complementing one another...drawing flavors out...making other flavors linger. I wouldn't say any of the drinks were bold...rather, they were crisp and clear and none were overpowering.

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention...the 2nd song we heard that emanated from the speakers, as our amuse were being placed before us, was "Let Down" by Radiohead (one of my favorite songs)...so that was an auspicious beginning to the 2 hour trek my friend and I were going to endure and bask in.

Honestly, it'll be too tedious and I'm not in the mood to write about every course I had...so I'll stick to the standouts. The second amuse bouche were two mini-biscuits...and coincidentally, I had been fiending for a proper biscuit for quite some time. Sometimes, the world and I are on the same page.

Another standout was the pasta course...which were raviolis (I think it was a ricotta filling) with sweet corn and a whole bunch of other awesome stuff that I can't remember, as I got pretty hammered and didn't feel like writing down everything I was consuming. I did manage to get a list of the drinks I had, and next to each listing is the dish that accompanies it. It goes a little something like this:

Dish - Pairing
Bouche - Cleto Chialie, Brut Rose, NV
Fluke - Marco Cecchini, "Tove", 2006
Soup - Masumi Okuden Junmai Sake
Egg - Vina Godeval, 2007
Pasta - Jaboulet, Crozes-Hermitage, 2004
Halibut - Domaine du Poujuls, 2004
Foie Gras - Marco Cecchini, "Verlit", 2004
Duck - Ramirez de la Piscina, Reserva, 2001
Pre-Dessert - Reymos, NV
Strawberries - Alvear, Solera 1927


I have to say, the soup was the the most underwhelming stop in the meal, though the sake that was paired with it couldn't have been more spot on as a complement. My only other complaint is that I could've gone with one more savory dish...preferably the famous short ribs that had been on the menu for awhile...but alas, I was at the whim of the chefs...and it's not like I didn't walk out the door full.

Other than that, truthfully, every course was exceptional, barring the soup. Truly exceptional. The foie gras was otherworldly...no joke. I've never had anything like it. It was something fit for a king. Believe all the good things you've read about it...

Oh, and instead of the halibut, it was a scallop course (straight up, I had been in the mood for biscuits and scallops for quite some time...and it was baam baam that I had both in this meal) that was superb. For reals...damn good.

And for my posterity, the Glenlivet was awesome as well.

All in all, I wish I had more hands because I'd give Momofuku Ko 4-thumbs up. Good times...good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment